Yesterday, I finished up the remaining work on the Buckingham Palace Lego model.
As is my custom, I took a few photographs of the completed model and experimented a little bit with the lighting and lenses. The first photo was face-on and I used both Lume Cubes here.
I balanced a diffusion bulb modifier against a Lume Cube off to the photo’s right side. I only have a single mounting bracket for the Cubes, I’ll have to remedy that oversight. The second Cube used the mounting bracket to hold the hexagon grid and a flat diffusion modifier. That was probably redundant on my part, but that is what experimentation is for.
I used the kit lens, so I could only get f/5.6 focal depth. Aperture priority mode caused for a rather high ISO. Because of that, I had to use Topaz Labs De-noise to clean up the image noise.
There was only one Lume Cube plus the ambient room light illuminating this shot. I used Topaz Labs Lens Effects to create a heavy vignette.
My friend Cris suggested using card stock to create backdrops for these photos. That’s a good idea and one worth exploring. If nothing else, I could use them as mattes and do things like sky replacement in Photoshop.
Next up in my collection is the U.S. Capitol Building model. That will take quite a long time to build I expect; it appears to be nearly as large as the Robie House model.